Shutterglut
Cruising through life with a camera, healthy appetite, and endless gadget lust.
Monday, March 22, 2010
Long-distance Goodbyes
Understandably, the arrival of a 3-day weekend sees many taking the opportunity to take a short trip further afield than they normally would during a weekend of the usual 2-day variety.

For us at work, we had a farewell party up at school for the 4 who are leaving which was pleasant enough as the company was good and, perhaps more importantly, the food was good and plentiful.

A new kind of suffering came after the party ended. The kind which involves a lot of swearing, some wailing, and maybe even some gnashing of teeth. What was normally a 40-minute drive door-to-door ended up being 2 hours and 10 minutes. I was keeping my eye on highway conditions throughout the day by constantly refreshing the highway page and seeing that my entire journey on the highway would be jammed up the wazoo, I decided to take the back roads thinking that it would be smoother. Big mistake. The problems were three-fold. One: a two-lane road became one early on and only opened up again near my place. Two: between those two points, there must have been, and I kid you not, two-hundred and fifty-three gazillion and forty-six stop lights. Three: this being the last day of a 3-day weekend, all the travelers were coming back home.

Plainly, the next time a farewell party falls on any part of a 3-day weekend, I'm going to stay at home and say my goodbyes over the phone.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment